Employment of health information technicians (which includes Medical Billers and Coders) is projected to grow 15 percent from 2014 to 2024, much faster than the average for all occupations, as the aging population continues to grow and more people have access to health insurance and medical services.
Medical Billers and Coders organize and manage health information data and are responsible for documenting patients’ health information, including medical histories, symptoms, examination and test results, treatments, and other information about healthcare services provided to patients. Their duties vary by employer and by the size of the facility in which they work.
Medical Billers and Coders routinely perform a variety of important tasks, including:
- Scheduling patient appointments
- Reviewing patients’ records for timeliness, completeness, accuracy, and appropriateness of data
- Organizing and maintain data for clinical databases and registries
- Tracking patient outcomes for quality assessment
- Using classification software to assign clinical codes for reimbursement and data analysis
- Electronically recording data for collection, storage, analysis, retrieval, and reporting
- Maintaining confidentiality of patients’ records
Benefits of Online Learning
Distance Education programs like the Online Medical Billing and Coding program offer greater opportunities to students who might otherwise face challenges attending traditional on-ground classes.
Here are other benefits you get from Online Learning:
- Students receive the same quality of instruction offered in a traditional classroom setting.
- Classes are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week, anywhere you can access the Internet, providing the flexibility to attend classes around work and family obligations.
- Lessons can be paused and resumed at any time allowing students to learn at their own pace.
- Students can communicate with instructors via chat and email without needing to wait for office hours, and can participate in discussions with classmates via online forums.
- Students use technology and communications tools employed in the workplace.
- Online programs reduce travel time and costs commuting to school.
This Online program offers the same level of education and training provided in a traditional classroom program with the added convenience and flexibility to attend classes from anywhere via the Internet.
*North-West College cannot guarantee employment.
Train at a Campus near You!