The Online Medical Billing and Coding at North-West College is designed to provide you with a comprehensive working knowledge of all phases of medical insurance, consisting of billing, pre-authorization follow-up techniques, posting insurance payments and more.
The program is divided into eight class course modules, including a hands-on clinical externship where you will have the opportunity to get experience applying the skills you learn in the classroom in an actual health care practice setting.
Courses for this program include:
- Seminar for Success - Orientation and success building course for Career Review of basic math, language, vocabulary, and writing skills. Introduction to core career classes, availability of community resources, outlining, summarizing, managing credit, and other life skills
- Medical Financial Procedures - Medical Terminology, Transcribing, Payroll, Banking, Bank Reconciliation, Bookkeeping, Day Sheets, Accounts Payable – Invoices, Accounts Receivable, Reproductive, Endocrine, Excretory, Special Senses, and Respiratory
- Secretarial- Medical Terminology, Correspondence, Memos, Filing and Maintaining Medical Records, Mail Handling, Accounts Receivable, Collections, Processing Patients, Medical and Legal Issues, Medical Ethics, Nervous and Digestive
- Insurance I- Medical & Extensive Insurance Terminology, CPT Coding, HCPCS, ICD-9 CM Coding, Processing Insurance Forms: Private Insurance, Medicare, Medi-Cal, Medi/Medi, Electronic Billing, Body Structure, Muscular and Skeletal
- Insurance II- Insurance Terminology, CPT Coding, ICD-9 CM Coding, Insurance Billing (CMA- 1500) for Private Insurance, Medicare, Medi-Cal, SDI, and Worker’s Compensation, Insurance Verification
- Communications/Insurance III- Insurance Contracts, Review of Verification of Patient’s Benefits, Insurance Plan Provisions, Facility Billing, Coordination of Benefits, Types of Adjustments, Overview of Dental Terminology and Dental Claims, Medical & Insurance Terminology, Résumés, Employment Applications, & Mock Interviews Rapport with Fellow Team Members, Courtesy & Respect, Professional Conduct, Guidance in Professional Appearance & Building Self-Esteem. Doctor a n d Medical Specialties, CPT Coding, ICD-9 CM Coding, and an overview of Health Claims Examining, Lymphatic, Cardiovascular, & Integumentary
- Computers- Introduction to Computers, Word, Medi-Soft, processing Electronic Insurance Claims, Creating Professional Quality Résumés
- Career Seminar- Internship Workshop, Career Readiness Workshops, New Student Orientation, and CPR
- Clinical Internship- Internship to apply the knowledge and skills learned in the classroom in an actual practice